Tuesday, July 21, 2009

This roller coaster is slowing down...

I can't believe that this Thursday will be 3 months since my weight loss surgery (WLS). Time has really flown by rather quickly. I will say that there were a few weeks where I wondered whether or not I did the right thing. But, once the stricture that I had was confirmed and Dr. Boe performed the endoscopy, things improved drastically and I once again KNEW that having this WLS was the right decision for me.

Weight isn't coming off as quickly as it was in the beginning, but that is to be expected. I can't say that I'm disappointed because I still feel great and I'm still losing about 1-2 pounds/week now. I think a lot of the slowdown is due to eating foods again (protein-rich foods) and also that I've been exercising and building muscle. It's a long process and I'm only 3 months out. It could take between 12-18 months to lose all my weight (still aiming for another 40-50 pounds).

I feel great and have been trying to exercise as regularly as I can (2-3 times/week is where I'm at now). I'd like to build upon that and make it 4-5 times/week. It's funny how much better a 30-minute workout goes on the treadmill when you are feeling good about yourself. Before surgery, it was such a chore walking/running on the treadmill. I had no motivation because that one 30-minute workout on the treadmill wasn't going to help me lose any weight. It was all so overwhelming to think about how much weight I really had to lose.

This WLS has given me a huge jumpstart -- not only on losing weight, but also on eating healthy and maintaining an active lifestyle. I think about what I'm putting in my mouth now. I try to eat foods that will give me the biggest bang for my buck: protein comes first always. Everything I put in my mouth has to have protein in it, or it's not worth it. I've gotten to love my protein-filled snacks of almonds, Greek yogurt, peanut butter crackers, etc.

Since things have been going well lately, I've been branching out and trying new things and new recipes. Cooking is fun once again, and so far, my family has enjoyed everything that I've cooked recently. Although I usually can only eat a bird's portion of dinner, it sure is nice being able to sit down with the family and enjoy dinner.

I've decided to post a new recipe that I try on each blog, so you can try it if interested. Here is a recipe for a yummy Chicken and Salsa dish that I've made twice for my family so far. It's so filling and goes perfect with some refried beans (extra protein!).

Chicken and Salsa

1 lb. Chicken breast, boneless, skinless
16 oz. salsa
2-15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz. cream cheese, fat free

Add chicken to a large frying pan. Add salsa, beans and cream cheese (cube cream cheese into small pieces). Heat on medium heat until warm and cream cheese has melted. You may need to add a little water (1-2 cups) if become too thick. Makes 6 small servings.


Nutrition Information Per Serving: 302 Calories; 29 grams Protein; 3 grams Fat; 28 grams Carbohydrate; 1291 mg Sodium.

So, if you try the recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment