Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Feeling really good...for the first time in my life!

I've finally started being accountable for that New Year's Resolution that I've made so many years...lose weight...get in shape...eat healthier.

For the first time in my entire life, I can actually say that I'm taking the bull by the horns and I'm making it happen. The WLS last April was the first step into making this frequently-requested New Year's Resolution a reality. The WLS has given me the tool that I needed to restart my life.

So far, I've lost 95 pounds...gone from a size 22/24 to a size 12/14...and have become more active than I ever thought possible. I am trying my darnest to exercise at least 3-4 times a week. For the last couple of weeks, that's mostly meant 30 minutes/night on the treadmill in my basement.

Tonight, for the first time in 386 days (yes, that's right), I hopped onto the Wii Fit. I had fun hula hooping, running, and doing step aerobics. It was a nice warmup for the treadmill tonight. What a moment it was when I did my body test and it told me that I lost 86 pounds since the last time I was on. I was a little disappointed, however, when the Wii Fit told me that my body age was 45 -- I'm only 40! That's bad enough -- I don't need someone telling me (machine or not) that I'm any older than I really am!

Anyway, I'm going to try to do the Wii Fit a few times a week in addition to cardio -- it's a fun way to do some strength training and aerobics without ever having to leave the living room.

I had another one of those "moments" today when one of my principals stopped by my office and said: "Professionally speaking, I want to tell you how awesome you look. You must be so proud of yourself." I felt all warm inside receiving such a nice compliment, and politely replied "I feel really good, and that's what matters."

Several people have asked me how I lost so much weight, and I honestly don't hide the fact that I had WLS. There's no way that I could have done this all on my own, and I really am proud of how far I've come. I can't take all of the credit for it, and I have no problem telling people that I had WLS. It can be a tremendous tool for someone who was in the same boat as I was, and I think it's something to be considered for anyone overweight. It's not for everyone, however, and demands careful research and thought!

Anyway, I wish everyone a good week. Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment