Monday, August 17, 2009

First true test of the new me!

I am on vacation in the Outer Banks, NC. I consider this my first true test of my new eating habits. Being away from home and away from the convenience of cooking in my own kitchen, I was a little worried about going on vacation. We all know that vacation usually means splurging on foods that you typically wouldn't eat -- ice cream, cotton candy, french fries (especially with vinegar), etc. I was a little worried about having to eat "my" foods while the rest of my family splurges on the typical "vacation" foods. Would I be able to get enough protein in? How would I feel with them eating all the "junk" food?

I've been out to eat several times at home, but I'm usually able to check ahead all the nutritional information of wherever it is that we're going. Down here in the Outer Banks, I don't have that option. It's a little overwhelming and frightening...

We just got here yesterday. After unpacking and getting ourselves settled in, we decided to go out to dinner at a pizza/Italian restaurant. I figured that I'd be able to find something there. Even though it probably wasn't the healthiest option, I ordered a white pizza with ricotta cheese. I haven't gone the pasta route or the salad route yet...and I knew that white pizza at least had some protein in it. Needless to say, it was an incredible slice of pizza that I had (everything stayed down) and I was able to have a leftover slice for lunch today.

The house that we are staying in is stocked with a wonderful kitchen, so I'm going to cook dinner tonight and tomorrow night. I'll at least be able to control what I eat and what I put into it. Hopefully, I'll have an incident-free and enjoyable week here in the Outer Banks!!

Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment