Thursday, October 22, 2009

Feeling Great Six Months Out!

It's been almost 6 months (actually next Friday, 10/30 will be) since my WLS. I have to say that I look and feel like a completely different person. During this journey, I have gone from a size 22/24 to a size 14 and I've lost a total of 88 pounds. I can't say it was easy. The first couple of weeks were very difficult and learning "how to eat" along the way has been a struggle.

Now that I'm almost six months out, I feel healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I'm very diligent with taking my vitamins each and every day, and I really think that has helped. I was never one (before WLS) to take vitamins on a regular basis. Now, it's just become part of my every day routine.

I'll be curious to see what my doctor says when I go for my six-month checkup at Barix next Tuesday. Hopefully, my bloodwork will come back all normal and there will be no concerns about anything. Like I said, I feel great and I'm having no issues with my food intake.

There are two things that I need to work on: water intake and exercise. I can see these two being a struggle for the rest of my life. They always have been for me. If I'm not thinking about it, I forget to drink my water. My hectic lifestyle (crazy busy full-time job and three young children) prevents me from getting in exercise on a regular basis. While I feel that I'm very active (much more than I was before WLS), I still feel that this is something I need to focus on. With the weather getting much colder and days shorter here on the East coast, it is very hard to do anything outdoors. I do have a treadmill in my rec room that I need to utilize, and I will try to focus on that throughout these winter months.

As for my food intake, I have found that I'm able to eat almost anything without any nasty issues. I am still very diligent in staying away from sugars and I check every single label still for the sugar content. I've found that I can splurge here and there on carbs (very rare) and I can treat myself to a piece of sugar-free candy -- and I'm very content. I really don't miss all the high-sugar foods and candies that I used to devour before WLS.

My weight is now 183 pounds (I'm 5'8", so I still have a few pounds that I'd like to lose). I haven't weighed this little since right before I got married 12 years ago. Other than the extra tire that I have around my mid-section (hey, what do you expect from three c-sections?), I am happy with my body. I love getting dressed each morning and I feel so much more active than ever before!

This was absolutely the best decision I've ever made in my life (next to marrying my wonderful husband). I am completely satisfied with the results and the jumpstart this WLS has given me on the rest of my life. I feel (and look) like a completely different person and I'm so excited about living my life in this new body.

For anyone thinking about this surgery, I can tell you that it can be a lifesaver and will completely change your life! However, don't expect it to be a miracle -- you have to work hard to make it work! WLS is just a tool to get you to where you want -- it is not a miracle cure. It will fix you physically, but it will not change what's up in your head!!!

Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment