Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another bump (or pothole) in the road...

OK, so I will be 8 weeks out on Thursday. By now, I should be able to eat many regular foods and have no problems drinking. HOWEVER, I've been having problems the last two weeks which have progressively gotten worse. This weekend was the worst and was my breaking point.

Even though I'm on a Pepcid prescription for acid reflux/heartburn, I started having severe acid reflux whenever I would eat anything. It wasn't that I was eating spicy foods. It was anything. The acid reflux would get so bad most times, that I'd end up throwing up.

Anyway, Sunday into Monday, it became the worst. I started getting acid reflux and vomiting after I'd drink even a few sips of water!!! Ridiculous, I know. I knew something was more than just wrong, so I finally called Barix yesterday.

I had to go in today for some chest x-rays and the barium test. The tests revealed that the opening to my pouch is too small -- the barium wasn't draining out of my pouch as quickly as it should have. Dr. Boe is having me come in next Tuesday for a scope. They will knock me out and then he will put a scope down my throat. If he can't get it through the opening to my pouch, then it has overhealed and that is the problem: the opening is too small and nothing can get down it! If that's the case, he will use a balloon-like device to enlarge the opening.

Officially, it's called a stricture and I've heard that 1 out of 10 gastric bypass patients get this. So, it's not very uncommon. Just very inconvenient and frustrating for me. Many people have to go back more than once to have this done, so I'm not sure that will be the end of it.

I'll say that I'm feeling a bout of depression all over again. I thought I was through the "rough times" and that I'd finally be able to sit down with family and eat a dinner. I guess that will all happen in time. I'll just try to hang in there until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment