Monday, June 29, 2009

Feeling human again...

After last week's episode with dehydration and then the endoscopy to fix my not-nearly-wide-enough pouch opening, I finally feel like I'm getting there. I literally feel like I have done a 180-degree turnaround. After weeks and weeks of feeling like crap, vomiting, not being able to tolerate much of anything, I am finally able to eat normal food again!!!

Let me tell you some of the wonderful foods that I have been able to partake in over the past three days: a sandwich of wheat toast and Healthy Choice oven roasted turkey; a scrumptuous beef and bean burrito; a homemade dinner of chicken made with salsa/cream cheese/black beans (great recipe, by the way); a delicious grilled cheese sandwich (along with a couple of french fries on the side); Kellogg's Corn Flakes; and the list goes on! Although I can't eat nearly as much as I used to be able to, it is such a delight to eat real food once again! I feel redeemed -- it was all worth it!!

It took me four days to lose that 5 pounds that I put on being in the hospital overnight last week (from dehydration). Wow, I never imagined that an IV could put that much into you in only 12 short hours! But, everything happens for a reason. I know what to expect if something like that ever happens again -- and if there is a next time, I won't wait as long as I did to call my doctor!

The hardest part for me now is to make sure that I get my 70 grams of protein in each day. This is especially important now as I've started to lose some hair. Hair loss is a side effect of weightloss surgery, but I just didn't expect it this early. Most patients don't start losing hair until between 3 and 4 months out -- I'm only 2 months out!!! I think it's intensified with me since I was having so many problems with getting my protein (and anything) in over the last few weeks.

Anyhow, I called my nutritionist today and she said I can take the GNC "Hair, Skin & Nail Formula" vitamins. I picked up two bottles tonight at GNC (they were buy one, get one free -- how nice!). The pill was a little hard to get down because it's larger than I'm supposed to be taking (after weightloss surgery, you are not supposed to eat anything bigger than an M&M). I might see if I can cut one in half tomorrow and see if that works!!!

OK, off to bed now -- long day ahead of me at work (at least a 14-hour work day as we have principal interviews tomorrow -- ugh!!). I'll post later in the week and hopefull things will still be going well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment