Saturday, March 7, 2009

Glad to Have Support Along the Way!

Well, I finally told a few other people about my pending gastric bypass surgery. Previously, only a few co-workers (who had already had the surgery done), my husband, my best friend, and my mother knew. Now my sister-in-law knows. I'm glad I told her, because I really value her opinion.

I have my psych evaluation next Friday afternoon. Once that is completed, I'm able to schedule my surgery. Wow, what a smooth and quick process this has been. I know this is the easy part of it, and more difficult times are ahead of me. In the long run, though, I know that it will be worth it.

Here's a list of everything that I'm looking forward to after the surgery and after the weight comes off:

1. Getting dressed and not having to "jam" myself into my clothes
2. Walking out of my house every morning feeling confident, and not trying to hide behind things
3. Actually wanting to be photographed with my family, instead of always offering to be the one to take the photo
4. Being able to tuck a shirt into my pants and wear a belt
5. Not having to shop in Avenue and Lane Bryant (and pay ridiculous money for plus size clothing that looks like curtain fabric or a tent)
6. Being able to wear a swimsuit on the beach and not feel like a beached whale
7. Being able to climb a set of stairs without being out of breath at the top
8. Waking up in the morning and not having chronic back and knee pain
9. Jumping at the opportunity to take my kids for a walk around the neighborhood
10. Just being me - the real me - instead of this fat person that I've become

I know a lot of those seem vain, but it's been a nightmare living like this for the past 20 years. Each year, my weight has steadily climbed up to the point that I knew something had to be done. All the diets I've tried over the years failed (partly because of my lack of motivation). But, I also think partly due to the fact that I've stretched my stomach out so much with overeating that it's hard to limit what you eat. This way, with this surgery, I'll be forced to limit what I eat -- or else I'll actually get sick.

I know it's not going to be an easy journey, but it's one that I'm willing to take. It's something that I will have to work very hard at, not something that is a miracle weight loss cure. I know this is a commitment that I'm undertaking for the rest of my life. I'm hoping to also influence the way my family eats too. Since I'll have to eat healthier, they'll have to eat healthier. What better gift to give my kids? Instead of them acquiring my poor junkfood eating habits, they will hopefully be equipped with healthy eating and lifestyle changes like me!!!

At this point, I'm hoping for surgery in April or May. Still haven't figured out how I'm going to do it with work, but I'll manage. I'll hopefully be able to work from home a bit, so that will make the adjustment a little easier. I'll keep you informed as things progress, but I'm ready for a change. Spring is right around the corner, and hopefully, so is a new body, life, and outlook for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment