Friday, March 27, 2009

So Many Baby Steps...Today Was a Big Step!!!

After almost a month and a half of consulting, waiting, evaluating, researching, more waiting, and deciding, my surgery is finally scheduled. Barix called me today after receiving the copy of my psychological evaluation. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, April 30th (ironically, enough, that's my brother's 30th birthday).

I will go for my PATS (pre-admission testing) on Wednesday, April 15th. My surgeon, Dr. Boe, will put me on a 10-day liquid diet before surgery. The reason for this is to get your liver in shape for the laproscopic surgery. I know that's going to be difficult, especially considering that I will be trying to live my life (events, parties, etc.) for those two weeks. To limit myself to broth and all liquids will be difficult, but worth it!

I haven't really had enough time for this whole thing to sink in. It's going to be such a life-altering moment...I have to prepare myself mentally for it! I'm so glad that my husband and my family is on board. That will make the entire process so much easier for me. My husband has already taken off the day of my surgery and the day after. I'm so greatful that he's so understanding and willing to take this chance with me for a new, healthy life!

I suppose I have two more weeks before my life changes for good -- and I do emphasize, for "good." It will be a very positive thing for me and I really am looking forward to my new life! :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your date! WOW! That was FAST! Be thankful you are not me...It took 5 months from the start of the process to the finish, which is Monday, March 30th at Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti, MI. I thought this day would NEVER get here, and I am pretty impatient.

    You can do liquids...at least you will be busy at work and time will fly! It is worse when you are at home staring at the clock! LOL! I did liquids for three weeks last July when my hubby had WLS. I had to know if I could do it or not, and guess what? I survived and you will, too. Just think of all the crzzy diets we have done in the past hoping it would somehow magically work, and this is a guaranteed tool to work if you work it. This is the start of your new life! Count down 1 month! I am sooo HAPPY for you!
    Diane aka: dlb1962 on the Barix Boards...my hubby is jmb1962 on the boards.

    ReplyDelete