Monday, April 19, 2010

Do You Share, or Do You Lie?

I have a question for all of those WLS patients: do you share how you've lost your weight with others who ask? Up to this point, I have always been very open when asked. I tell people that I had gastric bypass surgery. I don't try to hide it. It's been a very positive thing for me. Other than the minor stricture that I had at 3 months out, my recovery has been normal and I've adapted well to my new way of living and eating.

However, this weekend, I was at an event with my daughter and her Girl Scouts troop. A mom who I hardly know comes over to me and says almost matter-of-factly "I didn't know you had gastric bypass surgery??" As if she was my BFF and she was pissed that I hadn't told her. First of all, I hardly know this woman. Second of all, I wondered how she had found out. So, I asked. She told me that one of the other moms was talking about it...and well, you know the rest...

I told her the whole story and she seemed very surprised. It got me to thinking whether or not I'm doing the right thing by revealing that I had WLS. Does it have a stigma related to it that I'm just not seeing? Do people say how wonderful it is to your face, and then go behind your back gossiping that "I can't believe what she did..."?? For me, this has been an amazing experience and one that has changed my life for the positive. Is there the expectation that I will gain the weight back, because many do? Do people think I took the easy way out? Why is doing something positive for yourself frowned upon?

I guess I'm still just a little peeved by the reaction that this woman had. Maybe I shouldn't give two shits because she's really not a friend and is barely even an acquaintance.

I was just wondering what you all thought. Please post a comment if you have time.

Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment