Sunday, May 17, 2009

No more Egg Beaters for me...

I had my two-week checkup with Dr. Boe on Friday. Everything went well. I'm down 30 pounds since my pre-admission weigh-in. Of course, most of that is water weight and it's expected considering that I was on the liquid diet for almost four weeks!

I have to admit...it's hard remembering to eat. I could go almost an entire day without eating anything. I know it's not healthy, and I'm really NOT trying to do it. It's just that I'm so limited with what I can eat/drink now. My life is just as hectic now as it was before surgery. I was used to being able to just grab a sandwich on the go. Can't do that anymore. I have to actually plan ahead and figure out what I'm going to eat/drink.

Now that I'm on pureed foods, I can have oatmeal, cream of wheat, and any food (for the most part) as long as it's pureed through a blender. Of course, I still have to watch my sugar intake (less than 2 grams) and my fat intake. I'll be on the pureed foods until this Friday, when I'm able to move onto soft foods (ground meats, thicker soups, etc.).

Today, I had my first incident with food not "agreeing" with me. I scrambled some Egg Beaters and added some chopped ham and low-fat cheddar cheese. I was only able to get three bites in, when all of a sudden this sharp pain started in my stomach. It was like heartburn, only 10 times as painful. I couldn't eat anymore. I got up and walked around to try to alleviate the pain. It did subside after about 15 minutes, but it was hell for those 15 minutes. I think it was the ham that I put in the eggs. Although I made sure that it was under 2 grams of sugar, I think the fat content must have been too much. I confirmed it with one of the nurse's at Barix. However, it put such a bad "taste in my mouth" that I'm afraid to eat anything for a while. I think I'll just stick to my liquids tomorrow.

I will say that I think I'm a little depressed. Food was something that I used to (and hopefully still will someday) take pleasure in. I used to look forward to ordering pizza with the family on Friday nights and getting Dairy Queen every once and a while with the kids. Now, I feel like that pleasure has been taken away and replaced with this fear that anything I eat will make me sick.

I know I'm not even three weeks out from surgery, but I expected it to be a little better by now. Maybe today's egg incident put me in this mental state. Maybe the crazy busy weekend is making me feel this way. Either way, I'll head back to the drawing board tomorrow and try my hardest to get some protein in -- the liquid way. Maybe some soup at lunch. I'm just really feeling down right now...and missing all the foods that I used to enjoy. I know it will get better...I just hope it starts soon!

Until next time, peace out! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am hanging in there with you...I have my good days and bad ones. Just remember to try egg beaters again later out. It may have actually been the ham in the egg beaters or that you just ate too fast.
    I am still learning my pouch and premeasuring what I think it can hold, (1/2 cup) and stopping between bites...actually putting the fork down and talking or doing something else for a bit before the next bite, and it has stopped me from barfing. Sometimes it is not the amount or what I am eating so much as how fast I am eating and not even aware of it. I have to conciously chew till things are liquid and swallow and wait before that next bite and I find I keep things down a lot better. But you are right, until you find what works for you, you will feel a little depressed.

    ReplyDelete