Tuesday, May 5, 2009

This rainy weather is adding to the depressed state...

Not that I'm depressed or anything. But, we've had rain here in Pennsylvania for a week straight. Right about the time I went in for surgery, it started raining. Is that Mother Nature's way of letting me off the hook so I can heal at home without feeling like I need to be outside doing something? LOL!

Anyway, each day is getting better. I can't wait until I can finally have some food with consistency. I've been on a liquid diet (both pre-surgery and post-surgery) since April 20th. I'm wondering if the muscles inside my mouth are going to know what to do when I can finally chew something again!

I've been walking on my treadmill (since the rain is keeping me locked indoors) for about 10-20 minutes a day. I know it's not a lot, but it's a start. I am really looking forward to when I can head outside for a nice, brisk walk in the beautiful springtime weather.

I'm doing rather well at getting in my fluids in, I think. My tummy gets full very quickly, but I am constantly sipping. One weird phenomenon is when I go to bed at night. When I lay flat in bed, it seems that some of the leftover fluid in my tummy backs out into my esophagus. It doesn't hurt or anything, just feels strange. Almost as if my esophagus is constricting or something.

Anyway, I'm pretty much living off of sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free jello and pudding, chicken broth, decaffeinated tea (peppermint is my new found favorite), and an occasional protein drink. I'm pretty sure I'm getting in my required 64 ounces of liquids, but I know that I'm not getting in the required 70 grams of protein a day. That's something I will work on for the rest of the week.

Speaking of the rest of the week, I am going to try to go back to work for a half-day on Thursday. I've been doing a few hours of work a day on the computer. It keeps me busy since I'm cooped up in the house because of the rainy weather. I also re-organized my pantry today and sorted all of my canned goods. Hopefully, I can get another project done tomorrow before heading back into the grind. I'm not going to rush it, but I'm not in any pain so I figured I'd try to go back for a few hours a day.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment