Friday, April 24, 2009

Day five...halfway there!

Friday - Day Five of Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet:

Well, I've made it through five days of this liquid diet. I've found that as long as I keep myself busy, I'm fine. I've lost 6-7 pounds so far, so I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Surprisingly enough, my energy levels are pretty high and I've been sleeping rather well (except for the middle-of-the-night bathroom trips). I've been waking up somewhat cheery (which is not normal for me). I'm usually pretty grumpy in the morning and have a hard time dragging my sorry ass out of bed. Maybe it's getting easier because I have something to look forward to?

I've found that the protein bullets - liquid whey (https://barixclinicsstore.3dcartstores.com/New-Whey-42-Single-Serving_p_19.html) are helping me the most. They are fast and convenient. However, I have heard that I might not be able to tolerate them after surgery. They are like drinking coke syrup - very sweet and the real thick consistency. However, they've worked for me during this pre-surgery liquid diet, so I'm grateful. I cannot tolerate the protein powder drinks. I've tried several -- I'd rather not drink anything than drink those. I'm trying very hard to get my 70 grams of protein in each day, but some days I know I fall short.

Now, onto this weekend. This will be very challenging for me. I have a banquet tomorrow night and a birthday party on Sunday. I've made an excuse for the banquet and will be showing up late (conveniently right after everyone is done eating dinner). The birthday party on Sunday will be a little more difficult. There will be tons of food there, and hard to stay away from. I guess I will just have to hang out on the deck all day (and maybe leave a little early).

I'm halfway there and not willing to give in now. It will be worth it in the end. All of my friends on the Barix boards have told me that this pre-surgery liquid diet pays off in the end. It makes it easier for the surgeon to get to your liver (since it will have shrunk over the ten days due to the limited fat intake). Also, I know what to expect now after surgery. Everyone tells me that I won't WANT to eat after surgery and that I'll have to force myself to get the protein in. It's hard to believe, but I guess we'll see!

OK, off to start dinner for my family. I'm going to head out when they sit down to eat. I have some shopping to do, so I'll make the most of my time!

Peace out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment