Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nine down...one to go...

Tuesday - Day Nine of Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet:

So, you'd figure that after nine days on this liquid diet, that I would be used to not eating food. I can assure you that is NOT the case. The last couple of days, I have found that food is all I think about. I feel like a ravenous lion anxiously waiting for its next meal.

As I type this, my kids are sitting next to me at the dinner table eating cheeseburgers for dinner. I tried a vegetarian diet last summer, which eventually turned into a no-beef diet. So, I haven't really had any beef in about a year. Let me tell you...those cheeseburgers that they're eating look as heavenly as anything I've ever seen before. I must look so pitiful to them as I watch them eat.

OK, off the food kick and onto some good news! I go my time for surgery today. I have to be at Barix at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday morning. At least it's not too early. It's still an hour away, but not before the cows wake up. I have lots of help from my family and friends while I'm in the hospital. I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful support system.

I'm ready for this...both mentally and physically. A couple of people at work asked me today if I was getting nervous, and I said "no." I really don't feel any trepidation over this. The thing that scares me the most is being able to adjust to the dietary changes that I have in store. I know I'll be able to adjust, but it's like the fear of the unknown. Not knowing what foods my body won't be able to tolerate. Not knowing if I'll experience dumping syndrome. Not knowing if I'll have any complications.

I guess this will be another one of life's lessons. Live and learn.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment