Monday, April 20, 2009

One down, nine to go...

Monday - Day One of Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet:

Today was my first day of the 10-day pre-surgery liquid diet. This is required by my doctor to lose a few pounds before surgery and also to help shrink your liver before surgery (since it's done laproscopically, they want your liver smaller to make things easier to move around inside).

I have to say that the hunger part of this liquid diet is OK after the first day. It's the caffeine withdrawal that I'm fighting. I've had a massive headache all day long. My body is used to the cup of coffee in the morning and the Coke at lunch - every day! I really hadn't anticipated this to be a problem. If I would have thought of it, I would have stopped caffeine last week and dealt with it then.

I can't tell you how horrible I feel right now with this headache. I just want to crawl under the covers, close my eyes, and go to sleep. Tylenol has subsided it briefly, but it comes right back.

Anyway, I've tried two protein shakes so far (Matrix Roadside Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel). Can't say I loved them. I couldn't even finish the lemonade one. The consistency made me gag. And the aftertaste is awful!

It's going to be a long 9 days until surgery. I know I'll make it, but I'm sure I'll be a miserable basket case until then!

More to come...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment